Rio Nuevo has committed $500,000 to restore vacant storefront space along Broadway Blvd to welcome one of Tucson’s oldest restaurants, Lerua’s, back to the Sunshine Mile.
Lerua’s had to vacate their original location at 2005 E. Broadway when it closed as part of the Broadway Boulevard expansion project. Lerua’s had been in its original location since 1922 and the Hulquist family has been searching for the right location to re-open on Broadway.
The new Lerua’s will be located at 2243 and 2245 E. Broadway, in two former retail spaces on the eastern end of “the Friedman block” between Plumer and Country Club. It will be approximately 6,000SF and both a retail store for tamales and catering along with a sit-down restaurant. The remodeling will be done in phases starting with the retail portion and then moving to the restaurant portion.