Placemaking in El Presidio Historic District
Rio Nuevo is working with El Presidio neighborhood, businesses, Project for Public Spaces, and other stakeholders to support and enhance the unique characteristics, history, and future of the site where the City of Tucson was established. We are working to shape the vision for the district and strengthen the area through the support of the businesses and neighborhood while preserving and honoring its history.
As of Summer 2022, Rio Nuevo is investing $500,000 to activate the streetscape. Activation includes extending restaurants into parking spaces, creative promenades, murals, and more.
El Presidio Museum Duplex Renovation
The Presidio San Agustín del Tucson is a re-creation of the Tucson Presidio constructed in 1775. The mission of the Presidio San Agustin del Tucson Museum is to promote, preserve, and interpret the natural environment, origins, and history of Tucson and to celebrate its multi-cultural community.
At the May 2018 Board of Directors meeting, the Board voted unanimously to solicit proposals to take actions necessary to renovate and activate the long-dormant and historic El Presidio Museum Duplex to support activities at the adjacent San Agustín del Tucson Museum. The Duplex opened in Spring 2022 and includes a bar, restaurant, community kitchen, and event space.
- April 28, 2022
- Rio Nuevo Board Approves Six New Projects and Additional Funding for Two More
- March 24, 2022
- Rio Nuevo Board Advances Unique Downtown Projects, Plans to Expand the Sunshine Mile, and New Board Member Introduced
- March 17, 2021
- Salt Lake City Developer Proposes to Invest $15M, as First Step in Converting Cadence Student Housing into Apartments for Young Professionals
- May 23, 2018
- Rio Nuevo Board Advances El Presidio Building Renovation, TCC Improvements for Arena Football Team
RFQs, RFPs, IFBs
- August 17, 2022
- El Presidio Activation Attachment for RFQ
- August 17, 2022
- RFQ for Activate El Presidio